Hamilton Lakes and Parks, Inc. is a voluntary owners association with modest annual dues which are used to maintain the beautiful lakes Hamilton and Euphemia as well as the walking trails around the lakes.
Hamilton Lakes was originally developed in the 1920s. Alfred M. Scales, who had already helped to develop Greensboro’s upscale Irving Park neighborhood, sought to make his “dream of a beautiful village of homes” come true. By 1927, he had laid out lots, streets, two lakes, and a golf course. He incorporated the Town of Hamilton Lakes, and Scales himself served as the town’s mayor. Only a few fine lakefront homes, including Scales’ 11,000 square foot Neoclassical Revival style mansion facing Lake Hamilton and backing up to Lakewood Drive, were built in the 1920s.
In the years that followed, Edward and Blanche Sternberger Benjamin acquired the land. It wasn’t until after World War II that Scales’ dreams for the neighborhood began to materialize, albeit on a more modest scale.
The town of Hamilton Lakes was annexed by the City of Greensboro in 1957. However, the Hamilton Lakes and Parks association maintains its own parks and walking trails by means of association dues and other voluntary member contributions.